Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 - 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Salt the water, lower the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, then mash with the milk until smooth. Stir in the egg and horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the parsnips, carrots, onion and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Crumble the beef into the pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with the Worcestershire sauce and plenty of salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Grease a shallow, medium casserole dish; add the meat mixture and top with the horseradish potatoes. Bake until golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle the chives on top.
Tip PAIR WITH:
- Robert Hall Rhone de Robles 2005 (California)
Tip Gear up
- Use your food processor to chop the parsnips and carrots, then the onions.