Gazpacho rocks! This one has a smoky twist and some fired-up grilled shrimp for dipping.
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 limes, 1 cut into wedges and 1 juiced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce from the can
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as Mccormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 thick slice of stale chewy bread, crust trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 28 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled if desired and chopped
- 2 jarred piquillo peppers or jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 celery ribs from the heart and their leafy tops, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 - 3 teaspoons hot sauce, depending on how hot you like your gazpacho
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or flat-leaf parsley (a small handful)
- Preheat a grill or a grill pan to medium-high. In a food processor bowl, combine the lime juice, chipotles, adobo sauce and grill seasoning. Turn the processor on and add 1/4 cup of the EVOO in a thin stream and process until smooth. Pour the smoky marinade onto a plate and return the processor bowl to its base without rinsing it out. Add the shrimp to the marinade, toss and let it hang out for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drizzle the bread with EVOO, then grill until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Rub the garlic all over the bread. Chop the bread and add it to the food processor with the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, piquillo peppers, celery, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and cilantro and a little salt. Pulse the food processor to blend the soup until it reaches the consistency you like. (Heads up: If you have a small food processor, you may need to blend the gazpacho in 2 batches.)
- Grill the shrimp until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve 4 shrimp alongside each bowl of gazpacho with a lime wedge to squeeze into the soup.
Tip Make it your own
- Blend the gazpacho until it's the consistency you like--chunky or smooth.