These tangy sammies are topped with a spicy-cool combo of pico de gallo and guacamole.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Grated peel of 1 lime plus juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 deli slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 hamburger buns or crusty rolls, split and toasted
- 1 head bibb lettuce or green leaf lettuce
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a shallow dish, combine the EVOO, cilantro, scallions, thyme, lime peel, half of the lime juice, and the hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill the chicken until cooked through, 12 minutes. Just before the cooking time is up, top each breast with a slice of pepper jack cheese.
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, red onion, tomato, jalapenos, garlic, lemon juice and remaining lime juice; season with salt.
- Top each bun bottom with lettuce, a chicken breast, a mound of guacamole and a bun top. Serve with the tortilla chips.
- Now & Zen Wasabi White 2006 (France)