This dish is perfect for B, L or D: breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into short matchsticks or shredded on the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium leekswhite and tender green parts split lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise and cleaned
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 cups baby spinach, whole or coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. (If the skillet does not have an ovenproof handle, wrap the handle in a double layer of foil.) Add the zucchini and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until the leeks are wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat the eggs with the cream and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes without stirring to let the bottom cook, then transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until set, 10 to 15 minutes. During the last minute or two of cooking, top the frittata with the cheese. Cut the frittata into 6 wedges and top with the spinach.
- Rinse the leeks under cold running water or soak them in a large bowl of cold water to release the grit, then dry on a kitchen towel.
- Cut off the root end and the tough green top.
- Halve the white part lengthwise
- Soak the stalks in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinse to remove the grit.