Makes: 4 servings
- About 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- A few leaves basil, torn
- Salt and pepper
- About 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Lots of coarse black pepper
- 4 8 ounces halibut fillets
- EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), for frying
- Store-bought balsamic drizzle (or reduce 1/2 cup vinegar with 2 tablespoons brown sugar until syrupy), for topping
- Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper and cook to break down the tomatoes, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix the cornmeal with the cheese and black pepper. Add the fish and turn to coat. Heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until crisp and brown all over, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Top the fish with the tomato sauce and a little balsamic drizzle.