Makes: 10 servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Flour, for coating
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a splash of water
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 recipe Deviled Crab Risotto Milanese, chilled Deviled Crab Risotto Milanese
- In a deep, heavy pot, heat 3 inches of oil over medium heat until it reaches 350° to 375° on a deep-fry thermometer. (To test: A wooden kitchen spoon will bubble around the handle when inserted in the oil.) On a plate, add a small pile of flour. On a second plate, add the beaten eggs. On a third plate, mix the breadcrumbs, cornmeal and Old Bay.
- Using a scoop, make 2-inch balls of the risotto, rolling them with your hands (and wetting your palms in warm water now and then). Coat the balls in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Working in batches, add the risotto balls to the hot oil and cook until deep golden, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined rack to cool briefly, then serve immediately.
- These crab balls are amazing! Make the risotto, then refrigerate it for up to 48 hours before a party. To serve as a meal, add a salad.