Heat things up with this hearty dish.
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh cheese ravioli
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 scallions, white and green parts chopped separately
- A chunk of parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for shaving
- Crusty bread, for dunking
- In a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, or a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst and a thick sauce forms, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the ravioli and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and scallions to wilt.
- Serve the soup in shallow bowls and top with large shavings of the parmigiano cheese. Serve with the bread for dunking.