Makes: 8 servings
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/3- 1/2 seedless cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 4 - 5 large radishes, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 scant tsp. sea salt
- A handful each cilantro and mint leaves
- A handful microgreens or pea shoots
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 pound bologna, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 piece (1 1/2 inches) fresh ginger grated or finely chopped
- A little sea salt and lots of pepper
- Vegetable oil, for coating
- 8 french rolls or 3-inch pieces baguette, split
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. Combine the carrots, cucumber and radishes in a shallow dish. In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water, the sugar, vinegar and salt until dissolved. Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables, then let cool until ready to serve. Combine with the cilantro, mint and microgreens (or pea shoots).
- Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the barbecue sauce in a small saucepan and warm up. Place the ground pork in a large bowl. Add the bologna to a food processor bowl and pulse until very finely chopped. Mix it into the pork, along with the onion (which you can grate directly into the bowl), garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Form into 8 patties and lightly coat with oil. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes, liberally brushing with the barbecue sauce during the last minute or so.
- Serve the pork patties on the rolls (or baguette). Top with the drained salad mixture.