Break out the soup pots—there's lots here to keep you and your family satisfied.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken or beef broth
- 1 1 ounce package mixed dried wild mushrooms
- 1/4- 1/3 cup dry sherry (eyeball it)
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 1/2 pound gruyere cheese, shredded
- In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter with the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, bay leaf and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are softened and browned, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth, mushrooms and 2 cups water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and slice.
- Preheat the broiler. Pour the sherry into the onions and cook over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in the mushrooms and hot broth.
- Toast the bread under the broiler, rub with the garlic and top with the cheese. Broil until melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the toasts.
- Ventana Riesling 2007 (California)
- Use a food processor fitted with a slicing blade to quickly slice the onions.