Top human portions with grated sharp cheddar cheese and chopped scallions—delish! Always check with your vet about which foods are appropriate for you to share with your pet.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- Pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/3 pound ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- In a small pot, warm the chicken broth over low heat.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the rice and barley and toast for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season the grains with the nutmeg and stir in half of the warm broth. Cook until the broth bubbles, about 5 minutes. Then add the turkey, crumbling it as you drop it into the skillet, and cook until the liquid is absorbed by the grains, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the broth to be fully absorbed before adding more. Cook until the barley is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree. Cook over medium heat until just heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt.