As Boo got older, she needed a careful balance of meat and carbs; lean protein and a large amount of carbs. (Yup, that was my girl!) My mom and I would make this for Boo and end up eating as much as she did. Humans: Eat this with a green salad. Always check with your vet about which foods are appropriate for you to share with your pet.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 22 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 2 turns of the pan
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 2/3 cup barley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or low-sodium chicken broth (keep over low flame)
- 1 pound ground veal or turkey
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (a few good handfuls)
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat a deep skillet (or wide 4-quart saucepan) over medium heat. Add the EVOO (2 turns of the pan), and the garlic, then grate the onion juice into the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice and barley. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the wine, raise the heat to medium-high and cook away the liquid, about 1 minute. Add a few ladles of the warm stock to cover the rice and barley, then drop in the ground meat in small bits. Stir frequently and continue to ladle in the stock until the rice and barley are cooked al dente, about 22 minutes. Stir in the cheese, adjust the seasoning and garnish with the parsley.
- Eat this with a green salad.