These crunchy finger snacks are a great way to eat up zucchini at the end of the season.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 12 mins
- 4 zucchini (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- Hot pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees . Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet and set aside. Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the zucchini into a large colander. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Place the colander in the sink and press the zucchini firmly with paper towels to remove all the excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until light and frothy. Using a whisk, stir in the zucchini, then the flour.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in 3 batches, drop in the fritter batter by rounded tablespoons, gently flattening with the back of the spoon, and cook, turning once, until the fritters are browned, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining batches; add more olive oil to the skillet as needed.
- Using a food processor, puree the red peppers with the garlic, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. Serve the dip with the warm fritters.