This traditional breakfast combines crunchy tortillas, soft refried beans and runny eggs for a satisfying, hearty meal any time of day.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 6) plum tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons plus about 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat (or vegetable oil)
- 1 15 ounce can black or pinto beans, with their juice
- 8 6 inches corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes on a sheet pan under the broiler and cook, turning frequently, until the skins are charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate. When cool enough to handle, peel and roughly chop.
- Place the tomatoes, one-third of the garlic, half the onion and the jalapeno in a food processor and pulse about 6 times, until combined but not pureed. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat. Cook the remaining onion and garlic until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat and add about half of the beans and their juice to the skillet. Coarsely mash the beans in the skillet with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Mash in the remaining beans and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Transfer the refried beans to a microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
- Fill a large skillet with half an inch of vegetable oil and heat the oil over medium-high heat until it ripples. Fry the tortillas, 2 at a time, turning once with tongs, until blistered and golden brown, about 2 minutes per batch. Drain them on paper towels.
- Reheat the tomato sauce and the refried beans in the microwave. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the beans on each tortilla. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter and cook the eggs, either scrambled or fried. When finished, divide them among the tortillas. Garnish with the shredded cheese, tomato sauce and cilantro.