Look for lemongrass stalks among the exotic fare in the produce section; you can also find them at an Asian market.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 6 cups cooked white rice, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large bowl, fluff the rice with a fork. Add the eggs and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, lemongrass, chili paste and pepper. Stir into the rice mixture.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the rice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
- Cook the white rice the day before.