Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, 4 melted and 2 chilled
- 1 pound bulk sausage, formed into 8 patties
- 2 red apples (such as Fuji or Gala), cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Warm maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined; set aside.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add the sausage patties and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet, cover and keep warm in the oven.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the baking sheet, cover loosely and keep warm in the oven.
- Working in batches, drop a scant 1/4 cup batter into the skillet for each pancake and cook over medium-high heat, without disturbing, until small bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute. Serve the pancakes, sausage patties and sauteed apples with the maple syrup.
- Add a dash of cinnamon when cooking the apples for an instant kick.