Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup farina
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 8 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; crumble. Reserve the skillet with the bacon grease.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water and the salt to a simmer. Gradually stir in the farina and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon reserved bacon grease, then stir in the butter until melted. Return to low heat, then stir in the cheese and half-and-half. Stir in the bacon. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- In the reserved skillet, fry the eggs over-easy. Divide the hot cheesy farina among 4 plates and top each with 2 fried eggs, 1 tablespoon chives and hot sauce to taste.