Cook a cheesy, corn-studded bread pudding.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 5 to 6 ears)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound loaf stale country bread, crust discarded and bread cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat a grill to medium (or preheat the oven to 350 degrees ). In a large skillet, melt the butter on the grill. Add the corn and onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, mustard, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the corn-onion mixture; reserve the skillet.
- Place half of the bread in an even layer in the skillet. Pour in half of the creamy corn mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup cheddar on top. Repeat the layering with the remaining bread, creamy corn mixture and cheddar. Transfer to the grill, cover and bake until golden and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.