Rach's pal Daisy Martinez fries up a batch of savory Puerto Rican snacks. "In Spanish," says Daisy, "These fritters are called arañitas, or little spiders."
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 3 green plantains, shredded
- 2 yellow plantains, preferably ripe, shredded
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the green and yellow plantains, onion powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Fill a large skillet with enough oil to reach a depth of inch and heat over medium heat until rippling. Working in batches, add heaping tablespoons of the plantain mixture, pressing each one with a spoon to flatten. Fry, turning once, until golden-brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain; sprinkle with salt. Serve warm.
- To ripen the plantains, store them in a brown paper bag.