Rach's pal Daisy Martinez has dessert covered inside and out: a glazed pastry stuffed with cream cheese and guava paste.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 8 ouncepackage cream cheese, cut crosswise into 8 equal slices
- 4 ounces guava paste, such as Goya, cut into 8 equal slices
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/4teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a 1-foot-long sheet of parchment paper on a work surface and set a puff pastry sheet on top. Roll out the pastry to a 9 1/2-inch square; cut into 4 squares.
- Lay 1 piece each of the cream cheese and guava paste diagonally in the center of each pastry square. Brush the pastry edges with some of the beaten egg; fold to enclose, forming a triangle. Pinch the edges to seal, then crimp with a fork. Repeat with the remaining pastry, cream cheese and guava paste.
- Arrange the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet; brush with the egg. Bake until puffy and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes. 4. Meanwhile, stir together the confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled turnovers.
- Opt for a la mode! A scoop of vanilla ice cream elevates these on-the-go treats to a dinner-party dessert.
- Guavas are a tropical fruit native to South America. They're the size of apples and have a crunchy texture and a tangy-sweet flavor. Guava jellies and pastes are easier to find in stores than the fruit.
- If you come up empty when searching for guava paste, try seedless raspberry jam.