Rach's pal Daisy Martinez uses some "pearls" of wisdom to give her favorite dessert a kick.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Grated peel of 1 lime
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons instant pearl tapioca
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chopped mango, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half, sugar and lime peel to a boil, stirring often, over medium-high heat. Let cool for 2 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl and discard the peel; rinse and dry the saucepan.
- In the saucepan, combine the half-and-half mixture with the coconut milk and tapioca; let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the egg and ginger and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer to a medium bowl. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming; let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Serve with the mango.