"I like my food hot! Jalapenos are baby food compared to the habanero chiles in this dish." —Daisy
Makes: 18 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Fry: 15 mins
- 1 baking potato, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 7 ounces Mexican chorizo (about 2 links), casings discarded
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 habanero chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 18 corn tortillas
- In a saucepan, add the potato and enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, breaking it up, until browned, about 3 minutes; mash into the potatoes. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet along with the onion, tomato, roasted pepper and chile; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir into the potato mixture along with the cheese and cilantro.
- Fill a large, deep skillet with enough oil to reach a depth of 3/4 inch and heat over medium-high heat. Microwave the tortillas in a sealed plastic bag for 25 seconds. Roll up 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture in each tortilla. Add to the oil seam side down; repeat until the pan is full. Fry, turning once, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes; drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.