Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Granny Smith applespeeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 4 equal pieces, then each in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
- In a grill pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Cook the apples until just softened, about 5 minutes. Remove the apples from the pan and reserve; don't clean the pan.
- Top each of the 4 bread bottoms with one-fourth of the cheese, turkey and cooked apples, and the bread tops.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the grill pan over medium heat. Add 1 sandwich and place a heavy pan on top of it to press it down. Grill for 3 minutes, pressing down occasionally, then turn over and continue cooking until the bread is toasted and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes more. Grill the remaining sandwiches, adding another 1/2 tablespoon of butter each time before grilling.
- Castle Rock Monterey County Pinot Noir 2005 (California)
- Skip the butter and use cooking spray to keep the sandwiches from sticking.