Our from-scratch sammyis lightened up and lessprocessedand takes just10 minutes to cook!
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups no-salt-added tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Using a food processor, coarsely chop the onion and bell pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the onion-pepper mixture and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bison, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook until it loses its redness. Stir in the chili powder. Add the tomato puree, brown sugar, vinegar, worcestershire and salt. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Spoon over the bun halves and serve open-face.