Sweet summer fruit tops warm, gooey camembert cheese for an over-the-top appetizer.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- 2 5-inch wheels camembert cheese, at room temperature
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat a grill to low. In a food processor, coarsely chop the cherries, sugar and salt; stir in the thyme.
- Brush the bread slices and cheese wheels on both sides with olive oil. Place the cheese in the center of the grill and surround with the bread. Cover and grill until the bread is golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip the bread slices and grill until golden on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Continue to grill the cheese, covered, until the rind is soft, about 5 minutes more. Using a metal spatula, invert each cheese wheel onto a plate.
- Spoon the cherry jam over the cheese and serve with the bread.
- A to Z Pinot Noir 2006 (Oregon)