Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 6 ounces shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 Comice or Anjou pear, quartered and thinly sliced lengthwise
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle or 2 large skillets over medium heat. Top 4 bread slices with the cheese, reserved onion and pear. Cover with the remaining 4 bread slices.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the griddle, add the sandwiches and cook over medium-low heat until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cut in half.
- Skip the butter when grilling and swap feta cheese for the gouda.