Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled
- 1 bunch broccoli stalks, trimmed and peeled
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 6-inch hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; reserve the skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the carrots and broccoli stalks. Toss with the dressing.
- Spread the cream cheese on the roll bottoms and top with the onions. In the reserved skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until barely pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide the meat among the roll bottoms, pour any pan juices on top and set the roll tops into place. Serve with the carrot-broccoli slaw.
- Birrificio del Ducato Via Emilia (Italy)
- Freeze the steak for 20 minutes to make it easier to thinly slice.
- Chop leftovers, bring to room temperature and drizzle with olive oil for a bread salad.
- Stir scallion greens or your favorite chopped herbs into the cream cheese.