Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 dinner rolls, preferably poppy seed, split
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 head escarole, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Let cool slightly before thinly slicing.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in the pear and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss with the chicken and cheese.
- Divide the chicken mixture among the rolls. Using a panini press, cook the sandwiches according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the escarole and cucumber and toss; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the sandwiches.
- Soak the onions in red wine vinegar, instead of caramelizing them, for a pickled crunch. Butter the outside of the sandwich and cook in a heated skillet, instead of a panini press, until browned and crisp--or use a waffle maker.
- Mirabile Inzolia Sicilia 2006 (Italy)