Serve with a snap pea and tomato salad.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 pound small eggplants, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 10 ounces jarlsberg cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 4 ounce package thinly sliced prosciutto
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Lay the bread on a work surface. Top 4 slices with a layer each of cheese, prosciutto, eggplant and another layer of prosciutto and cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Brush the outside of the sandwiches with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill, covered, turning once, until crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Meridian Chardonnay 2006 (California), Climbing Chardonnay 2007 (Australia)
- Use any thinly sliced deli meat instead of the prosciutto.