We're losing our minds over the ultimate game-day meal: a juicy hot dog rubbed with smoky spices, stuffed with melted cheddar, and topped with mounds of sweet and spicy chipotle onions.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 4 franks
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 2 deli slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 hot dog buns
- Preheat the broiler. Make a slit lengthwise down each frank, being careful not to cut all the way through. Place the grill seasoning and franks in a plastic bag; shake to coat. Place the franks on a baking sheet and stuff each with 2 or 3 strips of cheese.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar, chipotle, adobo sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Butter the insides of the buns and place face up on the baking sheet with the franks. Broil until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. Assemble the hot dogs and top with the caramelized onions.
- Stuff the franks, prepare the onions and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead; then on game day, just heat, assemble and dig in!