We cut this guilty-pleasure sandwich down to size.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 15 mins
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 12-inch baguettes--halved crosswise, each half split and excess bread dug out
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil and creole seasoning. (If the seasoning is unsalted, add a pinch of salt.) In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and 1 1/2 teaspoons water, stirring until smooth.
- Lay the baguettes open on plates. Layer with the lettuce, bell pepper, tomatoes and scallions.
- Add the seasoned shrimp to the grill, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook, covered, until just opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes more. Arrange the shrimp on top of the vegetables and drizzle with the mayo-mustard sauce.
- Grill instead of deep-frying to help cut calories by 80 percent.
- Make a sauce of light mayonnaise and mustard to reduce fat.
- Hollow out the baguette to trash empty carbs.