Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 4 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4cup ketchup
- 1/4cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat for 5 minutes. add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes; push to the side of the skillet. Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef and cook, stirring to break up any clumps, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve on the toasted buns.
- Rosemount Estate Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Australia)
- Add a splash of water if you want saucier (sloppier) sandwiches.