We cut thisguilty-pleasuresandwichdown to size.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Grill: 5 mins
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste or finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 4 3-inch potato rolls, split
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 3 dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms; season with pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and cook, turning the mushrooms once, until the water is evaporated. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool; reserve the skillet. Finely chop the mushrooms and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and the onion to the reserved skillet. Season with pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is tender and golden, about 3 minutes; let cool. Add half of the onion and the ground beef to the mushrooms; season with salt and mix well. Form the mixture into a ball, transfer to a board and cut into 8 portions. Form each into 3- to 4-inch patties.
- Transfer the remaining onion to a small bowl, then stir in the mayonnaise and tomato paste. Spread the sauce on both faces of the rolls and arrange open-faced on each of 4 plates. Divide half of the lettuce among the roll bottoms.
- Add the patties to the grill and cook for about 2 minutes. Flip, divide the cheese among the patties, cover with foil and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Stack 2 patties on each roll bottom, top with the pickle slices and remaining lettuce and set the roll tops in place.
- Pump up the protein by using more lean beef.
- Forgo bottled sauce and make your own to reduce sodium by 25 percent.
- Keep carbs in check. Dont supersize the bun!