Turn pasta and veggies into a new family favorite.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 zucchini, grated using the large holes of a box grater
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated using the large holes of a box grater
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 28 ouncecan crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 1/2ouncecan chickpeas
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2pound whole wheat penne rigate
- 1/4cup store-bought pesto
- Ask a Grown-Up Helper (GH) to heat the 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, carrots, onion, celery and bay leaf, then season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Have your GH help you stir in the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas and red peppers; cover the pot and bring it all to a boil.
- When the broth begins to boil, have your GH remove the lid. Then add the pasta and cook until al dente, 15 to 20 minutes. Have your GH turn off the heat, then stir in the pesto. If the stoup gets too thick, stir in a little water to thin it out. Taste the stoup and season with more salt and pepper if you like; discard the bay leaf and serve.