This recipe combines three favorites of mine: quesadillas, hot dogs and pizza. Yum!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 4 beef or pork hot dogs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 10- to 12-inch flour tortillas
- 1/4cup mild chunky salsa (4 big spoonfuls)
- 8 squirts of ketchup (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Using a small knife, cut the hot dogs in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Have a GH (Grown-Up Helper) handle the hot pans if youre still playin T-ball and arent tall enough to clear the stovetop. Add the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the dogs and cook until browned all over, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain the crispy dog slices on paper towellined plates and pour off the excess fat. The sliced hot dogs are your pepperoni.
- Add a drizzle more of olive oil to the pan, then add 1 tortilla. Cook for 1 minute, then flip it over with tongs and turn the heat to low. Place a big spoonful of the salsa on half of the tortilla, then spread it around with the back of the spoon. Add 2 squirts of ketchup and mix it into the salsa. This is your pizza sauce. Top the sauce with one-fourth of the cheese-a big handful of each kind. Top the cheese with one-fourth of the crispy hot dog pieces. Let a GH help you fold over the tortilla to form a half-moon shape. Press down on the folded tortilla with a spatula to flatten the pizza-dilla and make it stick together.
- Cook the pizza-dilla, flipping it carefully once more with a spatula, for 1 minute per side. Slide the pizza-dilla onto a plate and let it cool for 2 minutes, then cut into 4 wedges, like a pizza, and serve. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Eat plain or top with more ketchup, salsa or even mustard and relish-whatever you like on hot dogs works here!