Get the family to eat their veggies by tossing in spaghetti and sauce.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 bunches Broccolini (1 pound), separated into long florets
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 28 ouncecan whole tomatoes
- 1/3cup fresh basil leaves (a generous handful), torn
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano or pecorino-romano cheese, for tossing and passing around the table
- Fill a large skillet with enough water to reach a depth of 2 inches. Ask your Grown-Up Helper (GH) to bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the Broccolini florets and cook for 2 minutes. Ask your GH to drain in a colander. Wipe out the skillet.
- Ask your GH to bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Ask your GH to drain.
- While the pasta is working, ask your GH to heat the skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the tomatoes and gently mash with a potato masher or a wooden spoon. Season with salt, stir in the basil, lower the heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the Broccolini and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the pasta and some cheese and toss. Pass more cheese around the table.