Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 pound boneless beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breast, skin discarded
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 leeks, halved lengthwise
- 4 heads baby bok choy, quartered
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water, the chicken broth and garlic. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Nestle the chicken into the liquid, add the carrots and cabbage, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the leeks and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a platter and tent with foil. Transfer the beef and chicken to a cutting board and slice; arrange on the platter. Add the bok choy to the cooking liquid in the pot, cover and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to the platter. Serve the meat and vegetables in shallow bowls moistened with the cooking liquid.
- Cruciferous veggies (such as cabbage and bok choy) may help prevent certain types of cancer.
- Meat plays a supporting role, while veggies star--which cuts calories and amps up nutrients.
- Using fresh beef short ribs, rather than traditional brined corned beef, means less sodium.