For adults, swap in 1/4 cup brandy and 2 tablespoons dark rum for the vanilla extract.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 4 large eggs plus 2 egg whites
- 1/4cup honey
- Pinch salt
- 1/2cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Grated nutmeg
- Prepare an ice bath. In a double boiler, whisk together the milk, whole eggs, egg whites, honey and salt. Heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until it reaches 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the double-boiler bowl to the ice bath and chill, whisking occasionally. Stir in the yogurt and vanilla. Transfer to a punch bowl and garnish with a sprinkling of nutmeg.
- Slash the fat--but not the rich texture--with vanilla yogurt instead of whole milk and cream.
- Add extra egg whites to pack the punch bowl with protein.
- Skip the preservatives in cartoned eggnogs by making the treat from scratch instead.