We cut this picnic standard down to size.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr 15 mins
- 3/4 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 12 ounce package nitrate-free turkey hot dogs, such as Applegate Farms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- In a large saucepan, bring the beans, garlic and 6 cups water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover partially and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the turkey hot dogs and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the chile powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the beans and stir well.
- Change is good Swap in nitrate-free turkey dogs for regular beef hot dogs to help slash saturated fat by 80 percent.
- Add more beans per serving for a fiber and protein boost.
- Forgo the brown sugar and molasses to reduce total sugar by two-thirds.