Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Bake: 10 mins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups 2 percent milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring, over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Serve warm or chilled.
- Drop the egg yolks and butter and use cornstarch as a thickener. Up the amount of chocolate and cocoa powder for richer results.