Made with a small amount of heart-healthy extra-virgin olive oil, our fried chicken is breaded and lightly pan-fried, then baked until crisp.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 3 large baking potatoes (about 2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . Slice the potatoes into 1/3-inch-thick fries. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, toss to coat, then arrange in an even layer. Bake in the upper third of the oven until crisp and golden, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard the skin from the chicken, except for the wings. In a large bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix the bread crumbs, flour, Cajun seasoning and paprika; season with salt. Coat the chicken with the crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and 4 pieces chicken.
- On the bottom rack of the oven, bake the chicken until cooked through and crisp, about 22 minutes. Season the fries with salt and serve with the chicken.