Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 45 mins
- 3 2 pounds racks baby back ribs, cut into 6 equal portions
- 1/4cup plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . In a 6-quart ovenproof pot, stand the rib sections upright to form a circle. Add 1/4 cup vinegar, the salt and 1 quart water; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake until tender, about 1 1/2 hours; transfer the ribs to a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, chili powder and remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar.
- Preheat a grill to medium. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with half of the sauce and place meaty side up on the grill. Cover and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Brush the ribs with the remaining sauce before serving.
- Partially cooking ribs in simmering water renders a lot of the fat. Since you drain the water, less fat ends up on your plate.
- Skip sodium-loaded dry rubs and season the meat by adding vinegar to the water.
- Add a light coating of homemade mustard-based barbecue sauce for finger-licking good ribs with only a fraction of the sugar of many other sauces.