Queso fresco is a Latin American soft fresh cheese, available atthe supermarket, that crumbles well and adds a touch of creamy saltiness.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 new york strip steaks (14 oz. each)
- EVOO, for rubbing
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups fresh (from 4 to 5 ears) or thawed frozen (16 oz.) corn kernels, patted dry
- 1/2 cup medium-hot salsa verde
- 3 ounces latin american cheese, such as queso fresco, finely crumbled
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the steaks dry, rub with a little EVOO and season well with salt and pepper. Add the steaks to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Cook until the bottom is seared, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Quickly spread the corn evenly over the browned bits in the hot skillet. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, to brown on one side, about 1 minute. Then stir, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned all over, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, halve the steaks crosswise and arrange on 4 plates. Pile the corn over the steaks. Sprinkle with the salsa and cheese. Serve with the lime wedges.