"When I was in high school, traveling to Greece was all the rage, and my parents began to make this Mediterranean-inspired lamb roast. My mom used fresh mint from the garden and Dad grilled it on the Weber. The recipe originally called for sour creamthere was a time when everything called for sour cream and we loved it so much that it morphed its way into being our holiday centerpiece roast." -Pamela Mitchel, Executive Food Editor
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 cups Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper
- 1 5 pound bone-in leg of lamb
- In a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the yogurt, olive oil, mint, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the lamb, turning to coat evenly, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place the lamb fat side up in a roasting pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 145 degrees for medium rare, about 1 1/2 hours. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Arboleda Shiraz 2007 (Chile), Hess Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 (California)