Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup pitted Mediterranean olives, such as Calamata
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1/2- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1-inch-thick tuna steaks (about 1 pound total)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons capers, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons finely diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 10 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- Place the olives, tomatoes, garlic, artichoke hearts and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped, adding up to 2 more tablespoons of olive oil if needed to make a spreadable paste.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each tuna steak in half horizontally to create 4 steaks about 1/2 inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it ripples. Season the tuna generously with salt and pepper and sear the fish on both sides until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side, adding another tablespoon of olive oil between batches if needed. Transfer the tuna to a large bowl and break into small pieces. Add the capers, onion, thyme, lemon juice and 1/4 cup of the olive oil and stir.
- Spread a generous amount of the olive mixture on 5 slices of bread and top with a heaping spoonful of tuna and another piece of bread. Slice each sandwich in half diagonally.