Toss this sauce with 1 pound cooked pasta.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped canned peeled tomatoes
- In a medium skillet, combine 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic over medium-high heat. When the garlic is sizzling, add 2 cups chopped canned peeled tomatoes with their juice and season with salt. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the oil begins to separate from the sauce, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 1 2/3 cups.
- For a sweeter, mellower sauce, cook chopped onions until softened in a combination of extra-virgin olive oil and butter for your base.
- Dont let the garlic brown or the sauce will taste bitter.
- Chop all ingredients into even, bite-size pieces or smaller.
- Add sturdier ingredients, like zucchini or eggplant, early on to cook through before adding delicate ingredients, like tomatoes or fish, which will break down if cooked too long.
- For egg pasta dishes, reduce the sauce less, as egg pastas will absorb some of the liquid.