This healthytake on mac andcheese usesbarley (a wholegrain that canhelp controlhunger), plusantioxidant-richtomatoes andsugar snap peas.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 55 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2/3 cup pearled barley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk, warmed
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (about 12 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- In a small saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil; add the barley, lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Reserve the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add the sugar snap peas, scallions and 1/2 cup water. Boil to evaporate the water. Stir into the barley with the corn, black beans and tomatoes.
- Using the same saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute; slowly whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a simmer, then cook for 1 minute more. Stir in 2 cups cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir this into the barley mixture; transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 18 minutes. Sprinkle the chips and remaining 1 cup cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the chips are toasted, 10 to 15 minutes.