You'll stretch your dollars by buying in bulk and freezing what you don't immediately use: This chicken dinner is great either now or later.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 12), rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates (about 1-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium bowl, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and garam masala. Transfer the yogurt mixture to a large resealable plastic bag and add the chicken, being sure to coat each piece. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Place the chicken on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, season with salt and roast until juices run clear, about 45 minutes. Let the chicken stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups salted water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the couscous and dates. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in the toasted almonds and parsley. Serve with the chicken.