Serve with grilled summer vegetables.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes; drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble into large pieces.
- While the pasta and bacon are cooking, using a food processor, puree 1/2 cup parsley, 1/2 cup basil, the olive oil, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons chives; season with salt and pepper.
- Add the herb oil, parmesan and reserved 1/2 cup pasta cooking water to the pasta and toss. Chop the remaining 1/2 cup parsley and 1/4 cup basil and add to the pasta along with the crumbled bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons chives. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Skip the bacon and add halved grape tomatoes or crumbled goat cheese.