By August, you've probably cooked more burgers and hot dogs than you can count. Fire up this citrus-kissed stuffed pork chop instead, courtesy of Maurice LaRue, the mayor of Sturgis, South Dakota.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 1/2cups frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch ground cloves
- 6 slices sourdough bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 6 1 1/2inches thick bone-in pork chops
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to high. In a casserole dish, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, vinegar, cornstarch, cloves and 1 1/2 cups water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread, raisins, garlic powder and 1/4 cup of the juice mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut a 2-inch-wide pocket through the center of each chop, cutting from the fatty side toward the bone. Spoon 3 tablespoons of stuffing into each pocket. Marinate the chops in the juice mixture for 30 minutes.
- Lower the grill temperature to medium. Grill the chops, covered, basting once, until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn, and baste again. Cover and grill the chops until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 150 degrees , about 4 minutes.