The brazen kiss of horseradish wakes upa gorgeous filet mignon draped in sweetgrilled onions.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 15 mins
- 1/4 cup 2% greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- EVOO, for brushing
- 2 onions, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, rings left intact
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds filet mignon, cut crosswise into 4 even pieces
- 4 plain pitas
- 1 bunch spinach--stemmed, thoroughly washed and dried
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic.
- Lightly brush EVOO on the onions. Place them, rings intact, on the grill (if you have a grill topper, use it here). Season with salt and pepper, cover the grill and cook, carefully turning once, until softened and lightly charred, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Pat the beef dry and brush with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise.
- Grill the pitas, turning once, until just warmed through but not crisp, about 1 minute. Slice off the top third of each pita and spread the insides with 2 generous tsp. of horseradish sauce, then stuff with the spinach, sliced meat and grilled onions. Finish with a dollop of the remaining sauce and serve immediately.
- Beer: a robust ale, such as Newcastle Brown Ale. Wine: a hearty, ink-dark red, such as Argentinean malbec.